ocba - Re: [ocba] buckfast bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "John McPhaul" <john.mcphaul AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Brian and Lanette Fee" <fee436 AT att.net>, "'Randall Austin'" <ra41717 AT gmail.com>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] buckfast bees
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jul 2014 10:35:15 -0400

I put this post out on the OCBA but it did not show up...maybe the messages get delayed so here it is again in case I messed it up?

Hello all,

So we split our hive with Marty’s help back in April/May and added one super in early June and another in Mid June.  The original hive appears to be crazy strong and the second split hive is also doing very well but doesn’t appear as populated.  Over the last couple of weeks as I watch the evening bearding as well as reading other posts on here I’m beginning to wonder if I should add a second deep to the existing 1 deep and 2 supers on the bigger hive or just add an additional super?

I have a complete deep with foundation but not drawn comb and from what I’ve been reading I’m wondering if it would be too disruptive to remove the 2 supers and then do the checkerboard thing with the deep and the second deeps foundation?  The amount of bearding in the evening and even into the morning is sort of alarming us as we are also looking towards next year for our honey and so we want to give these guys the best chance for wintering.

The queens in both hives appear to be doing fine but we just think the bigger hive has either run out of room due to the bearding or perhaps is “honey bound” but we aren’t sure how to tell.  If anyone out there has a lunch break and would be kind enough to schedule a date we’d love to have someone with experience point us in the right direction.

My dad used to say “It’s not so hard to walk on water if you know where the rocks are!”

We don’t appear to know where the rocks are but know some of you folks do!

Thanks
John & Nina McPhaul
1 Winter Drive
Chapel Hill, NC 27517
john.mcphaul AT gmail.com
919-656-6965

Sent: Sunday, July 13, 2014 9:40 PM

Thank you so much Randall.  As always, you are a fountain of knowledge!

Lanette