ocba - [ocba] Lighting a Smoker

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Lighting a Smoker
  • Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2014 10:14:15 -0400 (EDT)

Good Morning Beekeepers,
I have been giving many certified practical exams this summer and have noticed that many folks are having difficulty with the proper method of lighting a smoker.  I found what I believe is a very nice article on the task and hope that everyone will take a moment to review this bit of helpful advice.

The key points:
1. Fire is in the bottom of the smoker with plenty of fuel above.
2. Cool billowy white smoke is the goal.
3. If you see blue smoke coming from your smoker this indicates too much oxygen (time to add more fuel to the top).

I have seen too many folks simply cram half a hand full of pine straw in the smoker, then light the top and go.  This yields a very hot blue smoke that burns through the fuel very quickly.  This very hot smoke also tends to incite the bees rather than calm them.

Lewis

  • [ocba] Lighting a Smoker, Lewis Cauble, 06/29/2014