ocba - [ocba] bee conundrum…

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mike johnson <mm AT reddrum.com>
  • To: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] bee conundrum…
  • Date: Tue, 27 May 2014 13:26:54 -0400

About eight weeks ago I got two packages of bees. One package is growing
like crazy and the other fell way, way behind. Last week I opened the hive
and found no evidence of the marked queen or any brood. So, I got a queen.

Two days later I opened the hive and did a quick check to make sure I didn't
find a queen or evidence and low and behold there was an unmarked queen. So
I then had a newly bought queen with no where to put her. Back to Bailey Bee
and bought a wooden 5 frame nuc.

I took two frames from a hive started last year and put in the nuc with the
queen cage. The frames had various stages of bee development and I left all
the bees on the frames. I looked for a queen and did not see one on the
transferred frames. This was last Thursday.

Yesterday, Monday, I checked the nuc and all the bees had left and only the
queen still in the cage and her attendants were left.

So I'm left with a queen in the cage, a nuc, two frames full of brood in
various stages of development and no bees.

I have a hive I started last year (my first), a 2014 package that is going
growing like crazy, and a 2014 package that is weak, but does have a queen
now.

Any suggestions about where to go from here? What should I do with the
queen? What should I do with the frames?

Thanks in advance!

mike