ocba - Re: [ocba] Installing package in gusty winds?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Don Von Hagen <donvonhagen AT gmail.com>, Orange County Beekeeping Association ListServ <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Installing package in gusty winds?
  • Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2014 14:38:11 -0400

Beth & Don,

If the concern is that the bees will blow away, rest easy. They won't. In fact stiff winds ought to encourage them to stay at home, which is what you want to happen. I wouldn't install them in a hurricane but I wouldn't be concerned about a typical breeze. If you follow the NCSU directions as Lewis recently recommended, you'll shake the bees inside the hive so the wind on the outside shouldn't be a factor anyway.

Randall Austin