ocba - [ocba] Package install- conflicting information abounds

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Phil DeGuzman <phil.deguzman AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Package install- conflicting information abounds
  • Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2014 09:33:46 -0400

Greetings bee people,

I am adding two additional hives this weekend and trying to refresh my memory
on package installation. This is one of those areas where conflicting
information ( and hyperbole about killing every bee in your yard, your
neighborhood, the state...) abounds.

One source says spray lightly, another says spray heavy, and yet another says
don't spray or you'll drown them or cause them extra cleanup work. To shake
or not to shake...to place the package in the middle, to the side or in an
empty super on top. To open the queen cage, poke a nail through the candy, or
to let the workers free her when they are ready. To feed 2:1, 3:1, 1:3, or
not at all because you are rushing them too much. To feed and check daily,
every couple days, weekly, monthly.

So what is the latest OCBA recommendation on install?

Phil DeGuzman