ocba - [ocba] Cool Bee Behavior

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: the-skees AT sylvantrails.com
  • To: "<ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Cool Bee Behavior
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2014 20:45:50 +0000

Shannon here (the NOT Edward portion of the Tostanoskis).

I mostly take pictures of the bees for the two Edwards and help out with the honey and so forth as I can. I put in a bee/butterfly/bird garden this year. Last year, it was just a couple of pots, but this year it's a nice little garden.

One of the things I put in was a home-made bird bath. Well, er, it's not actually a *bird* bath, because the *bees* have taken it over and empty it almost daily.

Today, I filled it with water and one bee got pretty waterlogged. She was stuck in the water and not coming out. I was doing a couple of other things at the same time, so I wandered off for a couple of minutes.

Came back a few minutes later to see one of the other bees HELPING HER OUT OF THE WATER! It was *so cool*! Amazing!

Don't have pictures of the actual rescue, but here's a portion of the bath with some of the bees in it.

I just thought it was so neat to see the bees helping each other by rescuing a drowning companion.

Shannon Tostanoski

  • [ocba] Cool Bee Behavior, the-skees, 04/12/2014