ocba - Re: [ocba] I need a queen

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Mark <markapowers53 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] I need a queen
  • Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2013 08:20:02 -0500

Hi Mark,

Yes it's a seasonal thing. I'll take liberty with the symbols " " here and
say "most" colonies will have small amounts of brood even at this time of
year. With that said, we are talking about Bees so anything goes! Some may
stop, some still laying well but most are very slow right now.

Look for the dense (lots of bees on a frame) area of the bees and check there
for Eggs or larvae.

One trick I use is an electronic sensing heat gun. The kind with the trigger
you just point and get a reading. Brood temps are around 92 degrees.
Yesterday we saw temps of 72-76 on the outer frames, 84 mid way in and 92 on
just 2 frames. We then knew where to look for brood. A very helpful tool on
cooler days cause we knew they had brood(visually confirmed) and could get in
and out quickly.

Good luck...try checking again soon.
Marty

Sent from my iPhone