ocba - [ocba] FW: Proposed meeting on Top bar workshop by Les Crowder at Lilydale farm

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: mary leonhardi <mleonhardi AT hotmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bee Assoc. <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] FW: Proposed meeting on Top bar workshop by Les Crowder at Lilydale farm
  • Date: Thu, 5 Sep 2013 20:11:19 -0400

If you have any interest in top bar hives and meeting another beekeeping group, please join us!

Hey Y'all!

How are your bees doing so far this year?

As Annallys proposed previously, we will be having a meeting on
Sunday, September 15th at 4pm at Lilywell flower farm in Chapel Hill.  Those of us who went to the Les Crowder topbar hive workshop in August will:
  • talk about practical suggestions,
  • the pros and cons of different styles of top bars hives with pictures
  • look into three top bar hives (two variations of Les' design),
  • then socialize over a pot luck dinner in the gazebo and hear about how our hives are doing
    • bring your own chairs, plate, utensils and drink.
    • There will be no place to plug in any electronic devices.
    • Bug repellants, if  essentials oil based, are  welcome, please leave the DEET, picaridin and metofluthrin (personal Off pumps) home.

In the event of rain the meeting would be moved to Sept 22nd at 4pm (same location).
Please bring bee protection gear with you if you want to get up close and personal with the hives.

Lilywell Flower Farm is located at 4325 Sugar Ridge Road, Hillsborough, NC

From Carrboro: Hillsborough Road to left on Dairyland Road to dead end at
Orange Grove.  Turn right, go past intersection with Arthur Minnis on the
right and Bradshaw Quarry on the left (yellow house on the corner).  Proceed
on Orange Grove to a horse farm and pond on the left (total of about 2 miles
from the Dairyland turning).  A green sign on the left marks Sugar Ridge (a gravel road).
Turn left and KEEP left.  Go up and down hill and left to the end of the road
(about 3/4 mile).

From Durham: go west on I-85 to Exit 164.  Exit right.  Turn right (stop
light at exit), then left at next red light (half a block).  This take you to
Mayo Drive, which shortly (one block) dead-ends on Orange Grove.
Go left on Orange Grove 6 miles.  Look on the right for a green sign
marking Sugar Ridge.  Turn right and KEEP left.  Go up and down hill
and left to the end of the road (about 3/4 mile).

The cottage is at the very end of Sugar Ridge Rd. KEEP LEFT to the end! Then you will see a gate that says 4325 and Lilywell Flower Farm.  Pass the cottage on the left and park around the perimeter of the triangular field below the beeyard and bordered on the right by 30 foot high holly trees..
Cordially, Colleen