ocba - Re: [ocba] Giant Hornets

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Zac Morris <zac AT zacwolf.com>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Giant Hornets
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 10:29:52 -0400

OK, so after looking that up:
Vespa crabro, that is exactly what these are. {PHEW!}

Now that I've seen a few, I'm guessing that they have a nest in a small wooded area behind my house.  I live in Durham city limits, and there is about a two city block area within (surrounded on three sides by) my housing division that has a small creek running down it.

I believe it is this same area that my bees forage (because I seldom see them in my actual lot).  Because it's a relatively small "natural" area, should I be concerned about my bees sharing it with a nest of these hornets?

Thanks!
-Zac