ocba - Re: [ocba] yellow jacket nest

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: sspayne AT mindspring.com
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] yellow jacket nest
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 22:12:52 -0400

Sandi,

Did you see the actual insects? The picture looks like a European hornet nest. European hornets are very large, very yellow, quite striking in appearance. They aren't nearly as aggressive as yellow jackets. In a month or two, if not sooner, they'll be completely gone -- they don't overwinter in the nest. Then she can take the nest down to show all her friends.

Randall Austin