ocba - [ocba] What to do, what to do?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Robyn Stout <pinecone42 AT nc.rr.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] What to do, what to do?
  • Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 12:06:15 -0400

So for some novice 4H'ers what are some suggestions about our situation.

We have two hive originally (one from a nuc, one from a package) the nuc has
done very well so well we split off a third hive about 6 weeks ago.

That third hive just swarmed today. we caught it and have it (so far)
successfully installed in a nuc box. The hive they swarmed from is all but
empty. A few laggards and a hive beetle or three left in the box with about
a dozen capped brood cells and ~3 frames of capped honey.

The hive started from a package is doing OK. We saw the queen, saw eggs, but
not the best of laying patterns. Did a sugar shake today and saw no mites.
This hive has superseded the queen more than a couple times so far this year.

Our though (other than it would be great if someone would be willing to come
take a look with us at the hives) is to let the swarm work on the 5 frames in
the nuke box for a little while. Take apart the hive they were in and then
put those frames together (as a newspaper combine??) with the package started
hive that is a bit weak. This would get the package started hive some more
stores, more workers and probably a better queen.

We did a sugar shake on the nuc started hive which has about 5+ frames of
good looking caped brood and some stores. We saw 1 mite in the shake.

Suggestions welcome!

Thanks
Colin, Brennan (and Peter)