ocba - [ocba] big news

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Geneva <gggreen AT mindspring.com>
  • To: Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] big news
  • Date: Sun, 14 Jul 2013 18:11:04 -0400

Hi All,
We had a great time at the NCSBA Summer Meeting.  We had lots of members in attendance including Dick, David, Lewis, Inge, Chris, John, Cynthia, Allison, Greg and Carol. The focus of the meeting was alternatives to heavy chemicals in the hive.  Along with the social aspect and all the vendors, we got to be a part of the banquet.  Last year OCBA won a three way tie for Chapter of the Year.  Along with that we received a grant for $700. We used the grant to pay for our 4 4-H students and our demo hives at the church. We also agreed to help mentor another club for the GAP program.  That club was Person County and with all the great things that they do, they became Chapter of the Year for 2013.  As a thank you, we received a note and $150. We also got to share how we spent our money at the Banquet.  I hope that we will hear from our attendees at our August meeting.

Upcoming we have the Joint Field Day with Chatham County on Saturday the 20th .  We hope to see you there.  Please RSVP with me if you are planning to come.

On another note, I have had three people step up to help with the state fair booth.  No one has suggested a booth idea.  I do have something that I think will work.  Every time I have worked at the Fair, there are three things that people want to talk about.  One is yellow jackets, one is stories about their relatives who are beekeepers and the last is their concern with what is killing the bees.  So I would like to do a booth that shares some information about the factors involved in bee losses.  I have taken most of my information from the Report on the National Stakeholders Conference on Honey Bee Health,  National Honey Bee Health Stakeholder Conference Steering Committee  which you can download here‎ .  If this is okay with everyone I will start moving ahead.  If you have a different plan, please contact me.

Thanks
Geneva

  • [ocba] big news, Geneva, 07/14/2013