ocba - Re: [ocba] Japanese Beetles

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Brian and Lanette Fee" <fee436 AT att.net>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Japanese Beetles
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2013 13:07:49 -0400

I have tried beetle traps before, but I never was sure if I attracted more beetles than I otherwise would have had.  One thing I do that I believe helps for future seasons is spray beneficial nematodes.  Two companies I have purchased from in the past are Beneficial Insect Co. and Buglogical.  It won’t help now, but it will help next year.

The other thing that might work is diatomaceous earth powder as long as the bees don’t go on your roses.  You can find it in the garden section most places.  It’s used to help break up clay, but it’s also good at killing bugs.  I don’t think it would harm the roses, but check with someone who knows more about roses than I.  If you spray, spray after the bees have gone to bed.  My bees don’t work my roses at all so at least they are not right on the spray or powder.

Lanette Fee