ocba - [ocba] Tulip Poplar Blossoms...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, durham-county-beekeepers AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Tulip Poplar Blossoms...
  • Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2013 09:38:00 -0400

I watch the same big (24" diameter) tulip poplar down by the lake
every year now. I saw the first blossom at my place last Saturday,
and yesterday there were a few more.
https://plus.google.com/photos/106022773068627809372/albums/5710317851649430305/5870774188278348178

They haven't really started to pop yet at my place, but the green
unopened blossoms are looking quite large. Last year I saw the first
blossom on 4/10, but they all opened quickly after that (just before
our frost free date).

The state beekeeping association has their "what's blooming" page up
to see what else is going on:
http://www.ncbeekeepers.org/piedmont.php

I have seen some holly around ready to open as well- I think the
hollies (Ilex genus) historically have had a nice flow too.

Historically, it looks like the big flow starts in early May- get your
supers ready if you haven't already- somebody like Randall who has
been through a lot more springs than I have probably has some better
insight into this year's flow. I had a lot of early flow myself (I'm
by some sheltered wetlands and big powerlines) and have two hives that
I had to add a 2nd super to already- I could barely lift the top deep
+ super last weekend! Hopefully the rest of my bees will catch up,
and these early boomers won't bust...

That's the report from the Durham/Orange county line near I-85...
I've been in some hives in Wake, Durham, and Orange counties, and the
ones managed for honey production are all packed with bees, have had
an empty frame inserted into their broodnests and had a super added on
when appropriate...

Best,
Blair