ocba - [ocba] Crazy Curtis Swarm !!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Just Bee <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>, Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>, NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Crazy Curtis Swarm !!
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 20:26:16 -0400

Hey gang,

So check this out. There is definitely some head scratching thought packed
into this email.

This morning i got a swarm call from Ms. Curtis and when I arrived the
girls had moved a bit higher up the tree
than their first landing. I tried to get them but a 20' ladder wasn't tall
enough.

So here is the crazy part...after 5 mins or so they began to swarm and go all
over the place. After 7ins we tried to figure out where they were going and
then noticed there looked to be a swarm coming out of one of her hives. So we
had 2 bee clouds at once.

Now from here it's speculation only as it seemed the two merged OR the one in
the tree had moved to the bee hives. The tree is about 30' from her hives.
After a while the swarm around the hive got bigger but we noticed them
settling...and fanning on the landing board. The swarm around the tree
disappeared or flew off but it seems that IT flew to and went inside the
hive!!

I do not know if it flew back into its hive OR even crazier it flew into a
hive with out a queen. There had been two swarms earlier.

Here is a video of them landing and fanning at the front of the hive.

This is by far the craziest thing the two of us have ever seen! I know it's
unlikely or rare, but it seems that swarm went into that hive!

Any ideas?
Ever seen or heard about this?

Marty

  • [ocba] Crazy Curtis Swarm !!, Just Bee, 04/14/2013