ocba - [ocba] Swarm Alert II - The Sequel

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Swarm Alert II - The Sequel
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:53:02 -0400

Hi all…my bee buddy and I just handled the second swarm from one of my hives.  He’s taking it with him to start a new hive, and we even found the queen for a minute there.  Having been repeatedly frustrated by our inability to find the queen, this was great, to actually see her moving in and out among her new loyal subjects.

Once we scooped the bees into a box we had and capped it, we went into the hive and destroyed about 5 swam cells, and added a medium super on top for space and honey.  Blair gets the credit for giving a couple of newbees the confidence to catch and deal with a swarm.  Thanks again to Blair!

Checked on my second hive, which was split out of the first hive about 3 weeks ago.  It has 2 deeps.  It’s full of bees, some of which presumably came from the first swarm.  There was a single frame out of 20 frames with capped brood, but could not locate the queen.  We were short on time…

There was nectar galore in both hives, and a huge racket with bees fanning.

Just for your general information.

Tom

  • [ocba] Swarm Alert II - The Sequel, Thomas Grizzle, 04/12/2013