ocba - [ocba] Review: Tate's Apiary near Winston Salem...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org, durham-county-beekeepers AT googlegroups.com
  • Subject: [ocba] Review: Tate's Apiary near Winston Salem...
  • Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 09:51:01 -0400

Hi All,

I picked up a handful of queen cells at Tate's apiary near Winston
Salem yesterday and I was really impressed with their operation.
http://tatesapiaries.com/

Depending where you're located, it's probably about the same distance
as the Carolina Bee Company (Youngsville) or Betsey Spencer- two other
alternatives for locally raised queens/nucs/cells.

Jannice does all the grafting/queen rearing in the backyard and book
keeping, while Larry and his seasonal helper work most of the farther
yards. I was impressed with their setup- they even have an
instrumental insemination device, but haven't decided to go into that
yet. I bought some of their survivor stock, so let me know later in
the summer and I'll tell you what my success rate was with the cells
and what their mite counts are.

There is another place called 7 stands bee farm that I'd like to check out.
http://www.7standsbeefarm.com/
They are more focussed on survivor stock, and they buy survivor
breeder stock from VP Queens
http://vpqueenbees.com/
In the context above, there is correlation between survivor stock,
being untreated, and VSH, but I don't know all the details.

I'm interested in hearing about any reviews of 7 stands...

Best,
Blair

  • [ocba] Review: Tate's Apiary near Winston Salem..., Blair Christian, 04/12/2013