ocba - Re: [ocba] Nectar Flow

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: Thomas Grizzle <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Nectar Flow
  • Date: Thu, 11 Apr 2013 16:59:16 -0400

Tom,

1) Bees aren't inclined to draw wax unless there is a nectar flow going on. So there isn't any point in supering too early. However I think we are days, if not hours, away from the start of the flow (at least where I am) so it may not be too early to go ahead and put supers on.

2) When the flow starts, your bees will start filling the hive with nectar (that's obvious but I like obvious). You'll see fresh white wax on the combs as they rush to prepare space. Around here, the most important sign that the nectar flow has started is that the tulip poplars begin to bloom. Tulip poplar is the dominant source of nectar in the Piedmont. A single flower can produce a teaspoon of nectar, and the trees can literally drip with it.

In the old days, common advice was to put as many supers on the hive as you think you'd need for the season, all at once. But now that we have small hive beetles, we have to be more careful. Make sure you don't provide more space than the bees can effectively police. Balance that strategy with the need to add supers to prevent the hive from becoming excessively crowded to the extent that they swarm. In other words, give it your best shot and learn from the experience!

Randall Austin