ocba - Re: [ocba] Foundationless Frames questions

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: Eric Schwenke <eric AT swanfire.net>
  • Cc: "ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Foundationless Frames questions
  • Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:11:34 -0500

I started a bunch of hives (mostly) foundationless last year. The
only issue is that you can't reliably start with a box full of
entirely empty frames and expect the bees to get it right. Here's an
example of foundationless where the bees get it right:
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/eS3zGcR6TdLXWSrrL83j-NMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

If I were in your situation, and favoring CNG heavily then the best
way to start is to get a nuc from somebody CNG (Carolina bee or
somebody local), then go every other frame with foundationless. You
do have to do some work on the frames (I put the cleat in vertically,
and add wires). The bees draw the comb through the wax, no problem.
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/c6lRjt-acGqiSfhJUFNnNNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

This was useful to me when I was reading up on foundationless:
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesfoundationless.htm

I also tried using strips to start
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/uIC05Fc8Fg_71odBDghE0tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
but it was a major pain, and I don't think it was worth it.

The easiest thing to do if you get a package is to just use 5 sheets
of foundation, and go every other frame (checkerboarding) the
foundationless in with the foundation. Then you can get by with just
5 sheets of foundation for 2 deeps and you're good for the next year.

Best,
Blair