ocba - [ocba] Needing a mentor...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: chloe palenchar <cpalenchar AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <durham-county-beekeepers AT googlegroups.com>, <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Needing a mentor...
  • Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 13:45:24 +0000

I'm a new beekeeper since this spring. I've gotten my two packages installed, and they've both been going along swimmingly. But, I am getting the point that I'd like to have a more experienced person help me with a hive inspection or two. A few issues I'm not sure about:
1) I think they're doing fine, but I'd like a more experienced person to give a second (third, sixth? :) ) opinion
2) When I did a hive inspection yesterday, they had quite a bit of nectar/honey, but virtually zero pollen. Expected this time of year or not? Should I take an corrective action? Pollen feeding?
3) Help doing mite load check, as I know it's that time of year.
4) Help knowing best ways to avoid stings-- I've had a few as I've done my checks, and have a semi-significant reaction, so I definitely want sage feedback in terms of my handling of the hive. I'd like to keep the bees as happy as possible.

I live near downtown Durham.

thanks,

chloe

  • [ocba] Needing a mentor..., chloe palenchar, 09/04/2012