ocba - Re: [ocba] mites article

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • To: David DiGiuseppe <david AT daviddg.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] mites article
  • Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 12:05:21 -0400

Thanks, Dave!

This should be a good reminder to all beekeepers that it is varroa that is the ever-present enemy. Varroa damage isn't theoretical or a matter of opinion. If you are seeing a noticeable number of bees with Deformed Wing Virus, the damage has been done. DWV is like the "check engine light" on your car --- when it comes on, are things already hopeless? Take action and hope it isn't too late (it may very well be). Alternatively, go ahead and order replacement packages for next spring because your boxes will be empty soon (shriveled-wing bees are lousy foragers!).

For new beekeepers that haven't seen DWV expressed yet, the bees' wings are shriveled and useless. It is unmistakeable when you see it. A nice photo is on wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Dwv_honey_bee.jpg

Disclaimer: Like the Berenstain's Papa Bear, I know what I'm supposed to do but I don't always get around to it! So I've had DWV in my hives enough to know what happens when you ignore the warning!

Randall Austin