ocba - [ocba] Worker seem to be ignoring the queencage

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Frank Gillespie" <frank AT porterscales.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Worker seem to be ignoring the queencage
  • Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 15:37:54 -0400

Hi all,

One of the folks up in Wake Forest that I’m friends with on Facebook is having a problem with one of his two new colonies: the bees seem to be ignoring the queen! The first hive is acting normally in that they are clustered around the queen cage but the second group are split into three separate clusters with none of them around the queen. There might be one or two workers on the queen’s cage but that is it. He checked the hive two days after the installation and made sure his queen was still alive and she is. Both he and I are out of ideas…

The queens this year didn’t come inside the package but rather were separated from all packages for their trip up from Georgia. I’m wondering if maybe the girls just don’t sense the queen pheromones yet.

Any ideas?

Regards,

Frank Gillespie

Laboratory Service