ocba - [ocba] Lots of excitment in the bee yard!

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "birdcr AT concentric.net" <birdcr AT concentric.net>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Lots of excitment in the bee yard!
  • Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2012 10:57:44 -0500 (CDT)

Folks,
Yesterday Kitty and I did a cut out of a big 20 year old hive in a
shed wall. Filled 2 deeps with frames and brood and vacuumed up
maybe 4 pounds of bees. Brought them home and added another deep
to them.

This morning we had a small cluster from these bees swarm into a
35 foot high oak limb, maybe 2 base ball size swarm. Not
reachable. We did not locate the queen, the hive had at least 8
swarm cells in it, so I'll let the bees sort it out.

The swarm I caught on Monday, was tiny, they have left the
premises.

Seems the back yard is barely safe, I have been attacked about
every time I go back there. The only sting I got yesterday was
from my mother hive, those bees need a nicer queen I guess. Meg
disappeared yesterday for 30 minutes she was inside her truck to
get away from the bees that chased her.

The new top bar hive, a swarm box both have honey comb inside them
in case the swarm wants to make a home in either one of them. Also
the dual nuk has a little drawn comb and pollen if they want to
move in there. And there is the swarm bow 12 foot up a tree over
the back yard as well.

Cheers,
Randy Emmitt
see the cut out at www.rlephoto.blogspot.com

  • [ocba] Lots of excitment in the bee yard!, birdcr AT concentric.net, 04/08/2012