ocba - Re: [ocba] Non-serious question about hive naming...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Catherine Adamson <cadamson AT alumni.unc.edu>
  • To: Randall Austin <ra41717 AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Non-serious question about hive naming...
  • Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 09:22:52 -0400

I name splits according to name lines, my dad numbers his hive stands and the colonies are named based on where they sit.  I think my method is better at tracking over time since the name stays even if the hive moves, but he says he can never remember my names to begin with. :)

I have a different theme for each line of daughter-queens.  Latin for my first package (Benita, Aureus), math for a later one (Pi, Phi, Delta), etc. One line is named for Olympic runners due to the memorably explosive buildup of the original package (Prefontaine is Pre for short).

Anything that helps you remember and track them is good, whether that's numbers or names.