ocba - [ocba] Update on robbing, fighting...

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Blair Christian <blair.christian AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Update on robbing, fighting...
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 09:04:34 -0400

Here's how things evolved....

I saw some fighting over 2 weeks, ending with an entrance reducer as
fighting escalated. I had expected it to die down as expected nectar
flow increased, but the opposite seemed to happen.
(bad video)
https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_AFT3z3-BEeWFTEk4SIxU57U4W6tiA-PmQPFcO_LMe0?feat=directlink

Robbers looked to be getting in, so I put up a robber screen
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/Bees?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3A8NyCyffRMg#5722027405720406674

The robber screen seemed to help
(image of robber missing leg fighting with guard bee)
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/Bees?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3A8NyCyffRMg#5722498943090955650

But apparently my bees couldn't figure out the robber screen or the
entrances on it were too small or too far apart
(image of bees under hive)
https://picasaweb.google.com/106022773068627809372/Bees?authkey=Gv1sRgCM3A8NyCyffRMg#5722696900652001394

Any suggestions? I took off the robber screen this morning when I saw
the bees under the hive and put on my smallest entrance reducer. Any
thoughts as to whether this is a downside of breeding docile bees?
I'm not sure if that plays a factor or not.