ocba - Re: [ocba] Feral Honey Bees

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: NaturalBeesinNC AT yahoogroups.com, Orange County Beekeepers Association <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Feral Honey Bees
  • Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:43:04 -0400 (EDT)

NCSU has a project going to look for feral colonies in Duke Forest.  They have set up 80 swarm traps in 3 different sections of the forest.  The NCSU crew was out checking the traps in Duke Forest yesterday.  They found this colony still thriving.  This will be it's 3rd season in the swarm trap.  This indicates to me that chemical free beekeeping can be care free IF you have the right bees.

I would also note that there are no free lunches in nature.  I looked at this colony about this time last year.  I mean I just stood there and looked at it.  They hopped on me pretty quick.  I wouldn't judge the attitude of a colony on just one interaction but the point is if you breed for one trait (super mite resistance), you might lose something good somewhere else (gentleness).  The trick is putting everything together in one package (resistant, gentle, productive, frugal, et al).

Debbie Delaney has looked at the differences in the feral population and the commercial population and I believe is working towards trying to inject some feral genes in to our managed colonies.  I have not read the paper yet but you may find it interesting.  http://www.dissertations.wsu.edu/Dissertations/Summer2008/d_delaney_070108.pdf

Lewis