ocba - Re: [ocba] Powdered Sugar Q's

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Thomas Grizzle" <griz AT mindspring.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Powdered Sugar Q's
  • Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2012 12:26:59 -0400

All,

Related to the use of powdered sugar, I am just finishing up an excellent
book entitled, "Parasite Rex," by Cal Zimmer which delves deeply into the
world of parasites. A great read I can highly recommend.

As parasites, varroa mites must be constantly adapting, changing,
exploiting, and evolving. It occurred to me reading Lewis' post below that
the use of any means to "kill off" mites is a selection pressure. In other
words, each time we treat with powdered sugar, or any other treatment, that
is intended to reduce the burden of mites in a given hive, we remove the
mites that are affected by that treatment, but in all likelihood leaving
behind a small population of mites that are resistant, who then survive to
reproduce this trait. Point here, even though powdered sugar is non-toxic,
"chemical free" and all that, if not used sparingly, it will most likely
gradually force the evolution of the mite in favor of a more "clingy" mite
that holds on more tightly. Just a prediction.

Tom

Message: 1