ocba - Re: [ocba] A Modest Proposal

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • Cc: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] A Modest Proposal
  • Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2012 10:40:01 -0500

Here..Here..Lewis. I think this is a GREAT idea!

I have just started to do this very thing, but way more less formal. As a chemical free apiary i have reached out to those like minded individuals in  the OCBA and folks I have met at other meetings to start a group like this. A place where we can share ideas, experiences and expand on this very topic. I'm still gathering names and emails, i have one lady in Greensboro who wants to come and some from Durham who want to attend.

So this a great way to combine everyones interest in bees and the philosophies that got them here! In the end..its ALL about the bees!

I have just received my CNG (certified naturally grown) status for our apiary here at our place and will be applying for it at our other yards this year. I also have a meeting this thursday w/ Walt Tysinger from the Irvin Learning Farm  off Jones Ferry Road. They are part of the Triangle Land Conservancy (TLC) I will be hosting a few hives there as part of my own Orange County Honey Project, but he and I are talking about using this sites education platform to teach the public about bees...could be another match. Its a 268 land trust teaching farm!

I would love to head up with this group and can even offer up my place here as a host site. I am in the middle of converting our old horse barn into a honey house and workshop. I have been helping Annallys build a couple Top Bar Hives and have just launched a new "TBH Challenge" that I think will make a big difference in helping our fellow beekeepers around the world. I now have a big riding rink that's just sitting vacant and ready for a new life.

Thanks Lewis for seeing a need and stepping up to make it happen!

cheers,
Marty Hanks