ocba - [ocba] Top Bar Hive Challenge....are you in?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Marty Hanks <marty AT justbeenc.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Top Bar Hive Challenge....are you in?
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 22:10:03 -0500

Hello All,

i wanted to invite those members or friends of members who like to be creative and help others!

I was thinking last month about a cool idea for a You tube project and have been tossing around logistics. I was inspired by Chucks link to the Bees without Borders and realized we had a match. They work hard going around the world helping farmers and families start new honey bee hives so to feed their family or provide a form of income. Knowing they have very limited funds and resources most hives are the Top Bar Hive design.

Being a contractor and knowing that the big trend now a days is to reuse those big metal shipping containers for temporary homes got me to thinking about large scale resources for making TBH. That led me to the most widely available resource around the world. Shipping pallets! So here is the challenge. To use 2-3 pallet to build a TBH and to use the most basic and minimum tools available. The idea is for others to use the videos or designs to reproduce overseas where its needed the most! You can get a couple beside almost any dumpster and there are 100's free on craigslist. I am gonna try and use just a Stanley "cedar shake" hammer. It has a hammer and hatchet combo. I can cut and also use the blade as a plane.

I have contacted my friend who writes for TreeHugger and he thinks they would cover it once i and few others have posted video or picture clips. I have already contacted Bees w/o Borders to see what they thought and if there were specific designs or issues that might be better. I'll keep you posted on that. Anyway, once i put some walls on the old barn i'm gonna give it a go.

Would anyone like to join in?? This idea could really take off and help others in real need make a living for there family, feed their family and extend the education and positive exposure to honey bees. So the idea is to have a "winner" for BW/OB to use and promote the contest and idea.

Just let me know. It might be best if we do it at separate locations. I was thinking of making it a Challenge to build the TBH then post it to see who could better it.

ANY THOUGHTS?? COMMENTS??   IDEAS??

--
Marty Hanks
Just Bee, Apiaries