ocba - [ocba] inspection today

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Elisabeth Curtis <granda.curtis AT gmail.com>
  • To: Orange County Bees <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] inspection today
  • Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:06:28 -0500

Norma and I had a good inspection. Basically, the first two hives -- west and middle -- are chock-a-block full of bees, capped brood, and honey. In both cases the top hive body is loaded with honey and there is no place for more brood, so we have to remedy that right away. I guess we have to get another hive body for each. I don't know whether it should go on top or in between, but surely that will be easy to find out. Laying pattern in both hives seems good, even with our "ancient" 2009 queen. The east hive, however, may be queenless. In the super we found still some honey, and patchy sparse drone brood and two swarm cells that were open and empty. In the top hive body there was still quite a lot of honey, though not as much as in the other two, and they are bringing in nectar and some pollen. There was a supercedure cell, also open and empty. The bottom hive body is virtually empty -- no brood, few bees. There must have a queen there in the past couple of weeks, or so, but nothing is happening since then. It's possible that a queen hatched out and is hanging out, waiting for her maiden flight. How to tell. I dunno. I think I'll call Don tomorrow and see what he has to say and see whether he'll come give us some advice on that hive.

--
Elisabeth

  • [ocba] inspection today, Elisabeth Curtis, 02/23/2012