ocba - [ocba] Bees and Swimming pools

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: annallys Goodwin-Landher <annallys AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Bees and Swimming pools
  • Date: Fri, 15 Jul 2011 00:02:56 -0400

Hi,

I am soliciting feedback about bees using a neighbors swimming pool (saltwater) as a watering hole.  Evidently, the owner cannot swim in the pool until sundown and he and his family are getting stung if they swim during the day.  The bees are on 2.6 acres and approximatley a half block from the pool.  There is a pond about a block away that is being ignored. The owner of the pool wants to invite a friend over who is very allergic to bee stings.  I was unaware of the situation until today.   I suspect the pools been in close to a year, however the owner just brought the topic up and seems to be of a mind that the pool is most important.

Today I purchased a small wading pool, placed bricks and stones in it for the bees and made what I call bee tea, an infusion of herbs and flowers along with sea salt.  I will check tomorrow to see if the bees are at all inclined to drink the water, 20 feet from the hive.  I may look into getting a solar powered fountain and convert the pool into a pond.

Any and all suggestions and insights welcome!

Regards

Annallys Goodwin-Landher
PO Box 2744
Chapel Hill, NC 27515