ocba - Re: [ocba] Article on bees.

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: bees Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] Article on bees.
  • Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2010 20:42:57 -0500

In the 2009-2010 Apiary Inspectors of America survey of colony loss we find...

"Responding beekeepers attributed their losses to starvation (32%), weather (29%), weak colonies in the fall (14%), Mites (12%), and poor queens (10%). Only 5% of beekeepers attributed CCD as the major cause for their losses."

My take away from this is that the bulk of the losses are due mainly to beekeeper error.  Starvation, weak colonies in the fall, and mites account for 58% of the losses.  These are all things we as beekeepers can manipulate.  Weather accounted for 29% of the losses and I believe this is another factor that beekeepers can hedge against.  Only 5% of beekeepers attributed the bulk of their losses to CCD.

Lewis