ocba - [ocba] no queen after installing package

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] no queen after installing package
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2010 18:16:28 -0400

Hello there beekeepers!

Thanks for being patient with us "newbees" ha ha. But I do have another question. I installed my package last weekend and the bees seemed great. But I think I was too impatient and released my queen after 2 days, thinking I needed to do that. I think the colony rejected her, because I haven't seen her again. I saw eggs for the first time today, day 7 after releasing her into the hive. But almost all the cells have multiple eggs, like 3-4. A few have 1 or 2, but most have more. The bees are collecting pollen and drawing out comb on some of the frames.

So do the multiple eggs mean that I have laying workers? Should I get a new queen as soon as possible? Could I just have a bad laying queen?

Any suggestions would be helpful, thanks! This is such a great resource, and I hope it isn't a bother cluttering up the listserve with beginner questions.

-Alicia