ocba - Re: [ocba] what kind of bees do I have?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: Alicia Reenders <a.reenders AT gmail.com>
  • Cc: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] what kind of bees do I have?
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 12:01:53 -0400

They really sound like carpenter bees to me. There are several varieties. The most common burrow in new wood. However, there are some that utilize "punky wood."You might go on the net and look at the various varieties. I think they're all in the genus /Bombyx/ Alternately, contact the state entomologist. With all of the universities in the area, contact the zoology department to find an entomologist. Entomologists are very fine people and would probably be glad to come out and ID them for you.

Tom

Alicia Reenders wrote:
Hello!

I have just noticed some bees that moved into an old log that is being used as a table on my front porch. I only got a few minutes to look at them. The log seems to be fully intact, but I'm not sure, it may have hollow spots in the middle. There are about 5-8 holes chewed into the wood with sawdust under the log. The holes are on all different sides, and one on the top. The bees I see are definitely not carpenter bees.

They look like large honey bees, somewhat dark brown or blackish in color. Not very fuzzy looking. Not very stripey. I only saw 4-5 bees come and go into the holes in the log. They had pollen on their back legs like a honey bee. But there were so few of them. I even tipped the log and let it fall, and no bees came out.

So that was the brief look I got at them. It was getting a bit dark. I might try to investigate more tomorrow in the light. I hope to make it to the meeting tomorrow, so maybe I can describe them to someone there if I see more.

Thanks!
-Alicia