ocba - [ocba] Another Day at the Office

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Lewis Cauble <lewis AT hivebody.com>
  • To: chathambeekeepers AT lists.ncsu.edu
  • Cc: NC Beekeepers Orange County <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] Another Day at the Office
  • Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:34:12 -0400

I was near Hillsborough yesterday when I got a call from Bobbi at Busy Bee. Seems a large construction company was clearing a lot on Club Blvd in Durham and dropped a tree with a colony in it. They wanted someone to fetch it up.

When they discovered the colony, they called Durham Animal Control. They referred them to Critter Control. Critter Control sent them to ncbeekeepers.org where they got in touch with Judy Pick. Judy called Busy Bee but Jack was unavailable. Bobbi called me. I called the fellow and told him I'd come over and take a look.

When I got there, they had this large log with bees flying around it roped off to the side of the lot. They had made the cutest damn sign you've ever seen and posted it at the roped off area. It said "BEES!" on it and had a few drawings (in color) of bees flying about. I don't know who made the sign, but it was great.

The log was about 20 feet long and the knot hole where the bees were was about in the middle. I didn't really have time to deal with it so I asked if we could deal with it next week. The super really wanted it gone as soon as possible. I think the real issue was that it wasI looked it over and figured we could set it in my trailer if we could cut it down to size.

I came back to Cedar Grove and grabbed my trailer and a chain saw.

When I got back with the trailer and saw, I took a bit of screen and a slap tacker and covered the entrance. I gave the saw to one of the workers (they wouldn't allow me to use the saw on the job site). I guessed at where to cut the log on each side of the knot and told the fellow to back out if he hit honey. He made the two cuts without a problem.

I backed my trailer up near the log and they used a ginormous track hoe to load it into my trailer. I rolled out with the log, bees and all. When I made it back to Cedar Grove, I backed the trailer up to a hefty tree in the front yard. I tied a strap around the log and tied the other end of the strap around a tree. Then I just pulled forward until the log flopped out of the trailer into my yard.

If anyone wants to take a crack at removing the bees from the log, you are welcome to have the bees when you get them out. All I ask is that you do it at my house. I want to watch!

Fetching up a colony of bees, Cedar Grove style...

Compete with the big boys. Click here to find products to benefit your
business.
http://thirdpartyoffers.netzero.net/TGL2241/fc/BLSrjpYWIQWQPP2oqZjsxJUhqK8tUcnjiIAdVtumO0dRENtIXNwcypRJkBK/

JPEG image

Lewis

  • [ocba] Another Day at the Office, Lewis Cauble, 04/23/2009