ocba - [ocba] February 2009 minutes

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: "Lanette Fee" <fee AT sprintmail.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] February 2009 minutes
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:08:58 -0400

Minutes of the February 2009 Meeting

We had a guest from the Chatham group speak to us briefly on the changes in the NCBA bylaws. Jim encouraged everyone to look into the changes, and see if these are changes that you want to occur.

Gail talked about the zoo project. The exhibit will open in May. There is a new subgroup. Judy Pick and Jan O'Daniel will handle volunteers.

David Langham talked about the Magical Wings event at the Museum of Life and Science in Durham. Last time we set up a table and bought the gazebo and a bee hive. This year it is on Saturday the 18th of April. We need volunteers. We were generously offered help from the Chatham Beekeepers Association.

The Chatham County Beekeepers Association also invited us to participate in Pollinator Week at the Chatham Marketplace on June 26th.

Sarah Laudermans is doing a bee essay. She took a group poll on theories of bee communication. Do bees communicate by the bee dance, odor/phermones, or both. The winner of the poll was both.

Will Hicks talked about flowering plants that bees gather nectar or pollen from.

First we had a foray into swarm management. We discussed several methods of reducing swarming. Some suggestions were:

Reversing Hive Bodies as needed to give the queen more room to lay eggs.

Look for queen cells on the bottom of frames and cut them.

Manage the Population - Time the increase in population so that the honey flow coincides with the peak in populations.

Requeening - the older the queen, the more swarms sometimes.

Give them plenty of room - Add supers as needed

Make a split before they swarm.

Have an extra hive, empty, waiting for the occasional swarm.

Honey Plants - The order will go, as a general rule, in the order of bloom.

Maple - good source of nectar and pollen
Willow
Alder and Elm
Greens - mustard, turnips, canola, broccoli. (Pollen of these is high if fat.)- Let them bloom!
Ornamentals, Crepe Myrtle - white blooms
Quince
Apple - good for pollen
Jasmine - pollen is mildly toxic
Red Bud
Dandelion - good for pollen
poison Ivy - nectar
Holly and Gallberry
Wisteria - bumble bees love this, but so do honey bees
Locust - nectar, but not common to get honey. It varies year to year.
Tulip Poplar - big nectar plant Mid to late April. Honey is dark, good reliability.
Blackberry - starts later than tulip poplar
Elderberry at end of tulip poplar
Sourwood - nectar
Trumpet Vine - sometimes nectar
Sunflower
Bee Balm - Bumblebees love it, as do honeybees.
Buckwheat - dark honey like light molasses. Buckwheat honey is a good substitute for children's cough syrup for upper respiratory infections - better than other honeys. Blooms in 30 days during July and August.
Milkweed - good nectar
Butterfly week
Sumac - good nectar producer
Any legume - clover, crimson clover, vetch
Thistle
Pumpkins, cucumber, peaches, blueberries
Ironweed - late summer in swamps. (Joe pie blooms at the same time.)
Mexican Heather - tender plant
Cotton - late summer
Aster - bees love it - fall flow
Golden rod - fall flow
Pixy Daisies bloom at the time of goldenrod too. It is a lower grade honey.

Thanks Will for a very informative meeting!

  • [ocba] February 2009 minutes, Lanette Fee, 03/12/2009