ocba - [ocba] [Fwd: processing beeswax]

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Becky Bollinger <beckyalis AT gmail.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [ocba] [Fwd: processing beeswax]
  • Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:56:21 -0400

--- Begin Message ---
  • From: Jeff Sidle <iprnt4u AT ptd.net>
  • To: beckyalis AT gmail.com
  • Subject: processing beeswax
  • Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 09:36:48 -0400
Hello,

I have tried processing cappings into wax over this past weekend, I took the cappings directly from the uncapping tank, put them into a double boiler and melted everything down to liquid. There was a lot of brown gunk in it. When I tried to run this thru cheesecloth it just plugged up. I then decided that it was too thick so I dumped the 2 quarts of liquid into the hot water in the boiler. I then poured the resulting liquid thru some nylon panyhose and let sit overnight. In the morning I had a thin skim of hardened wax with a layer of brown sugar like material underneath, all floating on brown water. I want to know if there is anyway to salvage this batch?

I keep my bees in Northeastern Pennsylvania.

Thanking you in advance for any help you may deliver.

Jeff

--- End Message ---