ocba - Re: [ocba] How long does it take to cap honey?

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: "Orange County, NC Beekeepers" <ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [ocba] How long does it take to cap honey?
  • Date: Fri, 19 May 2006 11:26:09 -0400

Can't answer the question directly but, as you said, there are a lot of factors. Try cracking the hive top with a pencil or a twig to improve ventilation or, you can do the "shake" test. Hold the frame horizontally and shake vigorously up and down. If no honey shakes out it is sufficiently cured to extract without worrying about high moisture problems.

Tom Wright

Jeff Bollinger wrote:

Can anyone tell me approximately how long it takes for uncapped honey in
a super to become capped (I guess in reality, how long would it take one
fully uncapped frame to become capped)? I'm sure there are quite a few
factors that influence this, but if anyone has any rough estimates I
would like to know.

We have a bunch of uncapped honey that seems to be getting capped pretty
slowly (or perhaps we are just impatient!) and we were just looking for
some numbers.

Thanks!
Jeff