ocba - [ocba] Bees in bird feeder

ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: Orange County, NC Beekeepers

  • From: Tom Wright <twright AT vicksburg.com>
  • To: ocba AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [ocba] Bees in bird feeder
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 09:43:30 -0600

I sent Thomas the answer. This phenomenon is not uncommon, The bees are attracted to cornmeal dust that it introduced in processing/baggaging and/or small particles of birdseed. Considering how crazy they are about corn pollen, they probably locate it by smell. You might try putting out a dish of fine-ground cornmeal and see what happens. I don't know if they eat it or carry it away in pollen baskets.

Glad to be of help,

Tom Wright

  • [ocba] Bees in bird feeder, Tom Wright, 01/09/2006