ncmia - [NCMIA] Home Movie Screenings in October

ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: NC Moving Image Archivists

  • From: Kirston Johnson <kirston.johnson AT duke.edu>
  • To: ncmia AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NCMIA] Home Movie Screenings in October
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2008 16:13:36 -0400

Hello everyone,

Karen Glynn and I have chosen several films to screen the week following Home Movie Day (October 18).  I hope some of you have uncovered some home movie treasures as well and are still interested in screening these films the week of October 20-24.  If so, I thought it might be a good idea to choose a date for each of our screenings.  Perhaps we could each choose one night for screenings and work this into our PR strategy?

As it happens, the films we’ve chosen for our screening are all somehow related to travel and/or world cultures.  We’re planning to screen films from the Sidney D. Gamble collection (China 1917-1932, DVD), the Glenn Kiner collection (Shanghai, 1928, lenticular, DVD), the Frederic Cowper Papers (Paris Exposition, 1937, film print), the H. Lee Waters collection (North Carolina, 1930s, film print), and the Morris Margolin Collection (USSR, Japan, Norway, France, Israel, 1950-60s, DVD).

We’d like to screen our films either Tuesday, October 21 or Wednesday, October 22.  How does this work with your schedules?  Should we try to collaborate on a poster for this event?  If so, we may be able to design it here at Duke and provide a pdf file to everyone to print from.  Please let us know if you like the idea of a joint poster listing the multiple screenings and we’ll see if we can get Library support to create it.

Please write back with any thoughts or ideas and with a preferred screening date.

Thanks,

Kirston and Karen

Kirston Johnson
Moving Image Archivist
Rare Book, Manuscript, and Special Collections Library
Duke University
Box 90185, Durham, NC 27708
Tel: 1-919-681-7963 Fax: 1-919-660-5934
kirston.johnson AT duke.edu