nafex - Re: [nafex] Pomegranates for cold places

  • From: Devin Smith <dvidedevo@yahoo.com>
  • To: <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Pomegranates for cold places
  • Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2023 13:09:58 +0000 (UTC)

Thanks, Lee. That real world experience is just what I was looking for. I was
looking at Sverkhranniy myself, as it seems to be one of the earliest around.
I’d love a stick or two if you’d spare it. Too bad that it hasn’t really
shaped up in terms of quality. I’ve trialed lots of different subtropical and
non-hardy fruits here in SE Vermont. Now that we have a high tunnel (30x48
and covered in Solawrap) I have some more options for stretching the season
on some of this stuff. I’d really like a heated space so that I can grow
things in the ground, but that’s not in the cards for the time being. A lot
of things haven’t done well because the phenology is just not there. I grew
out some Loquat seed and grafted named varieties onto them some years back.
They flowered in early-mid winter and there just wasn’t enough sunlight to
size the fruit up much or give them sweetness. Lots of things I tried have
thrived in warm weather but resented the abrupt shift to months long cold and
dark in my well lit basement. I’ve also tried carambola, guava, strawberry
guava, pineapple guava (Feijoa), Chilean guava (Ugni), and a couple different
Annona species. Most died or failed to thrive. Probably others I’m
forgetting. The things I’ve stuck with are Citrus and Fortunella (and their
hybrids), figs (modestly successful, need to try in the ground), and tree
tomatoes (Cyphomandra), which are probably the most productive for me. All
seem to do just fine with extended dormancy and flower /fruit at times where
the weather is reasonably copacetic. Most importantly, they actually taste
good!

-Devin SmithRockingham, Vermont
>From yearroundgardening@comcast.net Tue Jan 24 11:44:29 2023
Subject:Date:To:Xfinity-Spam-Result;
b=LUlA/4J85Bf+MecdxCbHbtYJscCAIa4ESng3m7+VkVWJToLOyUtMvjMhRayftBiOp
v2zSvABFzvqyBG7+v6X2QjcirYjSXOjIq6QmjBnJIVgLB1ZL8OQ4RfjgIfjcYYpITe
aAjvNh5HtRIE4wrCrHjBLg0Wf0ll1TeDkMjP0pcrJRx1MMvzmQJLqaswRbG49/SDGU
edh4HhRC2pNiM8ttfBxkIVXjl1K4YRo7zPmZpRoHpYpI62O4HYMxB14sVusRr1Qvut
0TpZEvNm9vh0GXLGJnI9qXWsKT3airYalhrW0XZITPglX6V5OySlRwpNmLcek+t+YP
WkOBH/9KQpK3A=Received: from [IPv6:2601:2c6:8280:15d0:b0d6:ddad:bab6:c8be]
([IPv6:2601:2c6:8280:15d0:b0d6:ddad:bab6:c8be])
by resomta-h1p-028509.sys.comcast.net with ESMTPA
id KMKNp3zx5ycQeKMKPpvy3D; Tue, 24 Jan 2023 16:39:22 +0000