nafex - Re: [nafex] Care of D. kaki seedlings

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Care of D. kaki seedlings
  • Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 22:40:11 -0400

On 9/24/2016 3:54 PM, Elizabeth Hilborn wrote:
I have some seedlings started from seeds saved from D. kaki fruits. I have learned on this list that growing these trees up to maturity is sometimes problematic.
Does anyone have suggestions or advice to improve my chances of success?

I was planning to overwinter in pots this year and to set out in permanent sites next spring with the intention of providing vigilant care.

Thanks,
Betsy Hilborn
Zone 7a, NC
Hello Betsy,

You're in zone 7a which improves your chances but still not guaranteed. My zone 7 chart says 0 Fahrenheit average minimum low temperature. That's average which means occasionally it can get lower than that and based on my experience kaki winter damage begins at 0 and -10 normally spells death. Can you put it on the south side of your home, like only a few feet from your home. I have kept kaki several years 2 feet from the south side of my house and they fruited but when it got the -15 there wasn't enough protection.

Jerry