nafex - Re: [nafex] Diospyros rhombifolia

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Diospyros rhombifolia
  • Date: Wed, 14 Oct 2015 08:19:53 -0400

On 10/14/2015 6:34 AM, mark wessel wrote:
Does anyone have any experience with D. rhombifolia. A friend from Longwood
Gardens posted a picture of one last week. The fruit is very similar in shape
to the Geneva long. If so, please comment on taste and hardiness.

Mark
Southern Ohio
Mark,

Mine is in a bucket and I bring it in every winter. I believe it is a native to New Caledonia which is I believe is in the subtropics and if correct would not survive outdoors in Ohio. It is 30 chromosome. Mine is pistillate and without a pollinator produces attractive inedible seedless fruit.

Jerry