nafex - Re: [nafex] Geneva long persimmon

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehmantree@gmail.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Geneva long persimmon
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2015 10:28:59 -0400

On 10/9/2015 9:53 AM, Devin Smith via nafex wrote:
Jerry, your statement regarding the "blockage" having been "broken down" piqued my interest. Would you say more about that means? Are you just saying that Rosseyanka and Nikita's Gift are easily backcrossed even though the initial cross that produced them required some tricky business?
Hello Devon,

Yes, that is what I'm saying. This term a blockage that prevented enter species hybridization of kaki and virginiana was picked up from James Claypool. Mr. Claypool was a student and persimmon cooperator of JC McDaniel from the University of Illinois. He also was personally acquainted with Prof. Meader, all of whom attempted or were working with people attempting to hybridize the 2 species. In my files I have letters and articles written by some of these individuals and not one of them claims to have achieved a interspecies hybrid. I just briefly went through them nor did I found no reference to Geneva Long.

But yes, open pollinated seeds from my trees of Rosseyanka (Russian Beauty TM) and the Nikitskaya Bordovaya (Nikita's Gft TM), trademarks of one Green world nursery germinate very readily from open pollination in my orchard. And they are not apomictic as all of the seedlings vary greatly in leaf and fruit characteristics. I have one that was initially grown in a pot by David Pierce and is now my 400-7 that produces very small fruit and the bricks exceed 32. It produces 1 to 2 seed per fruit. The last 2 winters our temperatures reached -15 Fahrenheit and there is no winter damage. I have sent cuttings of this cultivar back to Ukraine for back breeding to their best kaki males. That is a long answer with unneeded information! But the point is yes, there progeny produce viable seeds.

Jerry Lehman