nafex - [nafex] Black Currents

  • From: John Barbowski <jbarbowski@gmail.com>
  • Subject: [nafex] Black Currents
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2014 12:42:57 -0400

*Interesting occurrence.*

*About 4 years ago in Sept, I shipped some rooted black current cuttings
(Ben Sarek and Ben Lomond) to friends in Kenora Ontario, Cdn Zone 3. The
currents do well here in Thornhill, Zone 6b.*

*I was visiting last week and checked the current bushes, a plot about 8 ft
wide and 3 ft across. Because of the zone differential, last years cold
winter and the age of the bushes, I didn't expect much. Also, my currents
were harvested in early August; they were very ripe at the time.*

*To my surprise, the pics in the web site below displays the production -
enough for 10 jars (250 ml) of low sugar, pamona pectin black current jam.*

*My friend said that one type of current, he didn't keep notes, didn't do
well, most plants dying the 1st winter; the other, obviously okay . The
berries were very large, the plants not as vigorous as mine and the berries
not as prolific. But still a nice surprise.*

*john b*

*http://s217.photobucket.com/user/JBarbowski/library/Black%20Currents
<http://s217.photobucket.com/user/JBarbowski/library/Black%20Currents>*