nafex - Re: [nafex] sticking lower scaffolds on the trunk

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] sticking lower scaffolds on the trunk
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 21:31:09 -0400

On Apr 28, 2014, at 4:37 PM, Alan Haigh wrote:

> If you do the scoring at about the time trees are in bloom and you cut
> above an obvious latent bud you will likely get a shoot, but if it is
> shaded by vigorous scaffolds above it may not grow with enough vigor to
> take a dominant position in the tree. There is a reason apple trees are
> built from the bottom up, one tier at a time to make a productive central
> leader tree.

Does this work for other types of trees? (Off topic) I have a weeping red bud
that I've been training, but squirrels and bad luck took off all the branches
on one side, and it seems shy about growing new ones. I'm pretty sure there
are dormant buds around the scars where little branches were removed. There's
plenty of sun in that area of the trunk.

Thanks,
Ginda
Eastern MA, zone 6, where most everything is in bloom, or in bud.