nafex - Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 134, Issue 8

  • From: Nutritional Solutions <btnutrition@aol.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] nafex Digest, Vol 134, Issue 8
  • Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2014 12:38:54 -0400 (EDT)

If Plan A or B don't work out (rooting cuttings taken in May or gathering
scion wood while still dormant), another option might be to offer to prune
the tree for the new owners the following season in exchange for scion wood
then. This might be a nice back up plan if cuttings you take now fail.

Jeanne (Northern Utah, where, as of today, crocus are in full bloom, tulips
not yet emerged)

Attached Message

Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>

NAFEX Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>

[nafex] grafting an apple in May

Sun, 16 Mar 2014 13:13:23 -0400

My husband's uncle died this winter, leaving his "house in the country" (the
Catskills) to my husband. I would like to try to rescue a seedling apple tree
that the uncle planted as a youth. It has no commercial value, since the
fruits
all ripen at different times, and only keep for a few hours after dropping
from
the tree. But the fruits (when fresh) are very tasty, and the tree has
sentimental value.

It's a large mature tree, and there's no way I can possibly dig it up, and no
way to transport it, and no place to plant it, even if I miraculously did dig
it
up. I would like to retrieve some of it and graft it onto an apple tree in my
back yard. But the timing is awkward (I think.) The will hasn't been
probated,
and once it is probated, my husband plans to sell the property. The only time
know I can get there and have legal access is in May. On the other hand, I
suppose I could remove as much of the tree as I want in May.

Any advice?