nafex - Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?

  • From: Barry Nichols <bnichols@ecotechinc.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Best Dog Breed for Orchard Protection?
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2014 13:33:30 +0000

Cats are indiscriminate predators that kill millions of non-target animals in
the US each year alone. These include the overwhelming majority on an
orchard that are highly beneficial. I would not trade those species who help
keep pest populations in check just in the hopes of targeting a couple of
other species. I can do the same by encouraging day and night-hunting
raptors without the same amount of collateral damage. Nest boxes, roosts,
and a rethinking of orchard maintenance/planning would go a long way towards
enabling/assisting those animals which are already present and not disruptive
of the system around your orchards.