nafex - Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early

  • From: Dan Nave <nave1@comcast.net>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Winter grafting Early
  • Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2013 22:27:42 -0600

Thanks Alexis, great pamphlet.

Dan

alexis wrote:

The pamphlet I have developed for teaching this is at
<http://conev.org/fruitbook9.pdf>

On 12/28/2013 7:02 PM, alexis wrote:
Jerry et al,
My experience with grafting in various seasons follows. My intent in
recent years has been to develop a set of grafting techniques that works
reasonably easily on all fruiting plants as I grow eclectic orchards and
teach propagation techniques. Early on in the process, I tried many
different things, and killed hundreds of small trees in the process. I
tried dormant grafting, with no great success. I budded all manner of
plants at many different times of the year. Fall budding has some
success for me, but is not as reliable.
The "universal grafting technique" I work with now is that I graft
everything in the spring. Apples and pears can be grafted on rootstock
straight out of the box, or established rootstock in the ground. Most
other common fruits, if they are transplanted, need to wait at least a
few weeks for the rootstock to recover from transplant. Some plants that
recover slowly from transplant (pecans, pawpaws, persimmons) want to
wait a year from transplant to graft. The vigorous rootstock is the most
important part by far. In VA, pears, apples, peaches, plums, mulberries
etc. are grafted in April. Pawpaws, pecans, and persimmons are grafted
in May. Either way, I am waiting for that first burst of energy in the
spring growth to graft. Generally, the shape of the cut doesn't seem to
matter a whole lot. I adapt the cuts to the situation. Sticking with
spring grafting, I get very high sucesss rate with all fruiting plants.
My success rate with grafting in other seasons is always lower. I
sometimes wrap the whole scion in parafilm, as well as the grafted area.
Even doing that, the success rate is low for grafting off-season.
Controlling dehydration seems to fail much more easily in off-season
grafting.
The pamphlet I have developed for teaching this is at
http://conev.org/fruitbook9.pdf
Take care,
Alexis
message archives