nafex - Re: [nafex] Collecting Persimmons <Squish!>

  • From: Jerry Lehman <jwlehman@aol.com>
  • Subject: Re: [nafex] Collecting Persimmons <Squish!>
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 22:05:59 -0400

On 10/13/2013 5:30 PM, Peter Chrisbacher wrote:
This year I've decided to harvest / collect a bunch of persimmons and store
the pulp for use throughout the fall and winter. During my first foray a
few days ago, I collected a gallon or so in a Ziploc bag, but by the time
they made it home, many were squished, and I fear will be discarded during
the sorting/washing phase (I plan to use the "Laundry Bag Technique" to
pulp them).

Anyone have any good tips for collecting american persimmons (several
gallons per outing) to minimize squishing?

Thanks -

Pete Chrisbacher
Hello Pete,

That is a problem, mooching the fruit before rinsing. We collected over 1,000 pounds so far this year. A zip lock bag is one of the worst containers for collecting persimmons that I can think of. When you pick up the bag, lifting by the top the sides apply pressure and mooches the fruit and the more that is placed in the bag, the greater the pressure. Use something with firm sides such as a small metal or plastic bucket. We use firm plastic pales about 12 inches wide and 16 inches deep with side handles. And that is too deep mashing the bottom fruits if fully filled.

Another tip. We spread long stem wheat under the trees. The fruit bounces on the straw keeping most from going splat. Also keeps them off the dirt and makes it much easier to see them.

Jerry